Thursday, October 6, 2011

Locative Art Project

I am interested in oral histories. The greatest things I have collected from traveling has been sounds and people's stories. I decided to create a family history page for my aunt and uncles. They were raised in the Central Valley; they spent their youths picking cotton and working on dairy farms. There were 5 kids in the family and they moved many times (this collection is only a few places they lived). 
We went to Chowchilla and Gustine to the houses and spots they haunted as youths. I took gps waypoints at each location and documented information as well as took pictures and recorded them telling stories. I created a digital tour in google earth but was frustrated with it's limitations, so I created a webpage with all of the information so I could have more aesthetic control. I also created a postcard with a QR code, which connects the recipient with my link. The QR code postcard is being mailed to my family members to request them to participate in the project. I created a blog as well on the website so they can add their stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment