Thursday, October 27, 2011

Layar's weaknesses

There are a few problems that I can see with Augmented Reality programs like Layar so far. The biggest problem for me is the amount of time it takes for images to load on the phone and the amount of battery power one viewing takes. Another big issue I experienced was the inconsistency of the gps from phone to phone. Images were found in places far from where they were placed and each phone viewed them in different locations. I can see this being a big problem if you are doing a locative piece and are relying on information or sound to be experienced in a specific space. The project I was thinking about doing for my final project is reliant on sound and information being viewed in specific locations and at this point it seems this technology is not quite there. Despite its failings, it shows incredible potential. I'm hoping that in the next few years we will see improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment